Friday, April 20, 2012

iMovie make anyone a great director

I used iMovie with my seniors, and I LOVE it. I couldn't believe how easy it was for them to create video. My objective was to help them to see the value of a detailed plan or storyboard in creating an effective video. The previous videos that they have made have been pretty boring. I want them to be able to use video effectively as they continue to work on presentations.

I had them use the trailer templates so that they could see how the storyboard helps them to create a polished looking video. In about 45 minutes, EACH of my students finished their videos. It looked like total chaos, but they were all totally engaged and on task making their videos. I had about half of my class in the hall and the rest in the room. They were in groups so that they could be in each other's videos.

We took about 10 minutes to share in groups, then a few shared with the whole class. They also answered some reflection questions in Socrative about what they learned. In our group discussion afterwards we talked about how they can expand their skills by making a custom project. They seemed eager to use this again, and I, too, am excited to see what they create next.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about the appearance of chaos when students are working with their ipads to create video. This last week I had students all over the building with their ipads filming. It was chaotic, however they were engaged in their learning. A little chaos is good sometimes...they don't get enough of it in school!

    ReplyDelete